Monday, June 04, 2007

Pie Challenge!

A_Muffin_Story on LJ declared this week pie week! My goal is to make at least three pie type dishes this week, and not all sweet!

I had some leftover diplomat cream from the pastry challenge I did last weekend, and found a banana cream pie recipe that could use it. The recipe was from a cookbook I've had for a while but never tried anything from - the Roselyn's Cookbook. When I lived in Indiana, I heard story after story about Roselyn's - a historic local bakery that had unfortunately closed by the time I lived there, but they had sold recipes and continued selling some of their products under the Roselyn's name.

Banana Cream PieThe banana cream pie is nothing difficult - I used a graham cracker crust, soaked the 3 bananas in pineapple juice, filled the crust with the diplomat cream, topped it with bananas, and put whipped cream on the top.

Banana Cream PieThe piece I took doesn't look pretty (really I should have used a somewhat different cream that would have set up more) but it tasted good!

Hooray for pie week!


Categories: Banana, Cream, Pie

4 comments:

Muffin said...

yay for pie! that looks delicious.

Patricia Scarpin said...

I'm willing to take part in the event, too, Jenny - I think you did a great job!

Cheryl said...

Another great idea with that leftover Diplomat cream!!

Jes said...

Instead of corn meal in the veggie burgers you can use bread crumbs. I used corn because it ties in with the southwestern feel of the burger. I haven't read Omnivore's Dilemma--what's the problem with corn (as opposed to any other unethically grown food)?