Monday, February 25, 2008

Quahog Dessert


Quahog
Originally uploaded by watchjennybake.
To be clear, I did not make this.

I spent the last week in Newport, RI, for theMusic Library Association annual conference. Being a music librarian is what you might call my day job. Newport was snowy and beautiful (you can see pictures from my trip here)!

Most of the time when I travel, I like to visit a bakery and write a post reviewing their items, but anything that Newport has that wasn't a chain was closed for the off-season. I know there are some great bakeries in Providence but I was too busy to make it there, plus it snowed.

This is the dessert we were served at our banquet at the Hyatt on Goat Island. A quahog is another name for a hard clam, and I loved how this dessert was created to look like one of the local clammy wonders. The almond-flavored shell was painted inside with chocolate and had a bunch of fresh fruit. The cream was a mango mousse and whipped cream, with a blueberry serving as a sort of pearl. Wait, do clams have pearls? Maybe this was an oyster, but I loved the idea of it being a quahog, so I'll leave it at that.

Obviously I have done no baking in the previous week, so I will simply let you gaze in awe at this masterpiece.

No comments: