Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Cranky Cake


Orange-Glazed Almond Cake
Originally uploaded by watchjennybake.
Sometimes, you just have to bake, to get it all out. I know I'm not the only one! I was having a bad morning, so I spent my lunch hour making this cake - the Orange-Glazed Almond Cake from the July 2006 issue of Vegetarian Times. I've had it sitting around begging to be made for almost two weeks now.

It is amazing what baking can do for your spirits, not even eating anything, just being able to pour energy into creation of something... anything. I used to deal with stress by playing the piano but until I get one of my own, baking is a great alternative.

I have come across several recipes lately depending on ground almonds, orange, and olive oil instead of butter. I want to make several different recipes to find which one I like best. This is a nice cake to have at the end of a heavier meal - it is light but full of flavor. The crunch of the ground almonds is throughout the cake, and the light spice of cinnamon blends nicely with the orange scent of the zest and orange syrup that gets poured over the cake after baking. It called for yogurt, so this time I used a Greek yogurt.

The recipe can be found here. It uses a lot of bowls and appliances, but is still really quick to make. This seems like a perfect summery cake, simple and flavorful.

Categories: Almond, Cake, Orange

6 comments:

Rachel said...

This looks delicious! I've been getting a few yummy recipes off V-times also lately. And I can TOTALLY relate to the relaxation effects of baking. It's my yoga.

gluten free pammy said...

looks good, nice and light

Nancy Cook said...

I find that chopping vegetables is good therapy too! But definately baking...and a little emotional eating afterwards...really does help lift one's mood. Will have to try the cranky cake.

Simones Kitchen said...

It certainly sounds delicious! Great title too...:)

Kat said...

The cake looks delicious! I agree that either baking or cooking can lift my spirits. I get into a zone and even the complicated recipes can relax me!

Amanda said...

mmm... I bet orange and almond pair really well. And I too bake for stress relief. I would be a much crazier person without it!