Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Hummingbird Cake

Hummingbird Cake
Monday I had to finish my annual report and the ceiling of the music library started pouring water halfway through the afternoon. Let's just call it a stressful day, one that could only be cured by baking a cake. (I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this?)

I had hummingbird cake in my head, although I hadn't made one in years. I did a Google search and Art Smith's version kept coming up repeatedly, so even though it was on Oprah.com and I have a love-hate relationship with her, she did bring me the best mac & cheese recipe ever. Hoping against hope that Oprah knows food, and so should Art Smith after seeing him on Top Chef Masters, I went with it.

I'm so glad I did. This cake was light and airy and flavorful and I will definitely make it again. Next time around I will probably bake the cake in three layers because that would add to the delicacy, and these layers were THICK. It also made it harder to ice; I'm pretty sure half my icing went between just too layers. I should have evened them out but just went for the rustic feel.

One thing that is hard to plan for is knowing how many bananas you'll need for 2 cups of bananas. I had four regular bananas and it wasn't quite 2 cups, so bring home at least 5!

Categories: Cake, Cream Cheese, Banana, Pineapple, Pecan

4 comments:

Eliana said...

The cake looks heavenly Jenny :)

Unknown said...

You know... they had a hummingbird cupcake at a local bakery and I loved the name so much that I had to try it. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, but it was pretty good! Yours looks lovely.

David T. Macknet said...

Agreed: Oprah is evil. That said, though, the cake sounds delicious!

The Food Hunter said...

Sounds yummy!