Sunday, February 06, 2011

Pear Entremets with Biscuit Joconde Imprime

Slice with bits of jaconde on top
Better late than never. I had everything purchased to make the January Daring Bakers Challenge, but ended up out for the count with a bad cold for an entire week! I wasn't going to let it all go to waste though, and finally made it over the weekend.

The January 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Astheroshe of the blog accro. She chose to challenge everyone to make a Biscuit Joconde Imprime to wrap around an Entremets dessert. You can read the challenge and original recipe in its entirety on her blog.

Pear Jaconde
I always see pears in the store in January, so I decided to take that flavor and run with it. I found a recipe for Pear Walnut Spice Cake by Gale Gand, topped it with a cinnamon bavarian cream of my own creation, and topped that with a carmelized pear. In my vision of this dessert the carmelized mixture formed its own layer on top, but my bavarian cream was too delicate and the heat melted it. I was lucky to end up with it still looking moderately okay after being thrown into the freezer.

Inside view of jaconde
It was a nice flavor combination, although with the joconde it ended up being like double-cake. The pear walnut spice cake was a bit heavy inside, and while it tasted good, this would have been better with a mousse or another bavarian cream. I do think this skill is a useful one, and really enjoyed making the decorative biscuit joconde imprime.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Jenny, Glad you're over that nasty cold!! The cinnmaon bavarian cream, pear walnut spice cake and caramelized pears sound amazing! Flavors aside, your entremet is gorgeous and your joconde is perfect! I'm sorry the bavarian started to melt. Another scary thing with entremets, the part where you cut it open and hope all stays together (aka, did I use enough yolks and/or gelatin?) LOL

astheroshe said...

I am soo happy you comlpleted it :0 I love pear and i love green :) WELL DONE!

Jen said...

This looks really good!! (And I don't even like pears haha). The cinnamon mousse sounds delicious!!

Caroline said...

I love the design in the bright green! The layers look lovely together and I am absolutely salivating over the flavor combinations you chose! Yum!

Kiwi the Fruit said...

I can totally related to the feeling of having a bad cold and wanna give up everything, coz i'm having it right now :(

Bravo to your cake! I'd have never thought of using pear as bavarois and pear walnut spice cake sounds delicious!

Eliana said...

What an elegant looking dessert. It looks super delicious.

Kelsey Ann said...

THIS IS SO GORGEOUS!!! its really tall too- and very lusciously yummy looking!! <3

Lea said...

Love your idea of using pears, this is a flavour I really never have used, and it's beautiful! Great colors :)