Flourless Double Chocolate Muffins
recipe from Running with Spoons (I have noted my changes below)
- ½ cup almond butter* (I used peanut butter because I had it!)
- 1 ripe medium/large banana
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup honey (I used coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed (mine was golden)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ cup chocolate chips, plus more for sprinkling on top (I used sugar free)
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a muffin pan by spraying 9 cavities with cooking spray. Set aside. (I made 8 muffins in silicone cups.)
- Add all ingredients except for chocolate chips to a blender and blend on high until batter is smooth and creamy. Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin pan, filling each cavity until it is about ¾ full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops of your muffins are set and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool in pan for ~10 minutes before removing. Store in an air-tight container for up to a week.
* To make these nut free, simply replace the nut butter with soy nut or sunflower seed butter.