Nutmeg-Maple Cream Pie
(recipe from the New York Times)
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 2 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pre-baked 9-inch pie crust
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a medium
saucepan over medium-high heat, reduce maple syrup by a quarter, 5 to 7
minutes. Stir in cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and
egg. Whisking constantly, slowly add cream mixture to eggs. Strain
mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a cup or bowl with pouring spout.
Stir in salt, nutmeg and vanilla.
- Pour filling into crust and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until pie is firm to touch but jiggles slightly when moved, about 1 hour. Let cool to room temperature before serving.