Mango Carrot Cake
(based on Mango Ginger Carrot Cake with Candied Ginger Frosting from Rock Recipes)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely grated*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups grated carrots
- 1 cup fresh ripe mango, diced small**
- ½ cup chopped lightly toasted macadamia nuts (optional)***
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Grease and flour one 9x13 pan.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered ginger and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla and oil until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the grated carrots, mango, grated ginger root (and nuts if you are using them.)
- Fold in the dry ingredients by hand.
- Stir only until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
* - I couldn't find the ginger root that I know I bought. I would recommend adding this layer of flavor, or maybe crystalized ginger in the batter.
** - I used frozen mango which is in rather large chunks (as evidenced in photo) - I would definitely cut those chunks in half next time, and maybe increase mango flavor by replacing some oil with mango puree or mango nectar.
*** - I did not add nuts but ended up wishing I had more texture - nuts or coconut, etc.