Monday, October 02, 2017

Quark Pancakes

A few weeks ago, I made quark for a German recipe. I needed to do something with the leftovers so I found a recipe for quark pancakes. I would imagine, lacking quark, you could use ricotta. These are light and fluffy, and highly recommended. The blogger that provided the original recipe served them with peaches and thyme, which would be even better. I just ate them with butter and syrup.


Quark Pancakes
(Recipe by Sarah Coates on The Sugar Hit)
 
Ingredients
  • ½ cup quark
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • ¾ cup (185ml) milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
  • 1 cup (150g) plain flour
  • 1½ tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 2oz (50g) butter, melted
Instructions
  1. Place the quark, egg yolks (place the whites in a separate bowl), milk and vanilla into a mixing bowl and whisk together.*
  2. Stir in the flour and baking powder until just combined (don't stress about lumps) and then fold through the butter.
  3. Throw the salt in with the egg whites, and whisk until they're foamy - don't worry about peaks or anything. Fold through the batter and put a large, heavy based non-stick pan on to heat.
  4. These pancakes cook fine without any oil in a non-stick pan, but I like to add a little butter (your call), and then ladle in heaping spoonfuls of the batter into the pan (about ¼ cup). Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake, and then flip and cook until the other side is golden brown.
  5. Continue until all the batter is used.
JennyBakes' notes:

* - I did not separate the eggs nor did I whisk anything separately. As you can see from my photo, they are still the fluffiest. You might like them even more with these steps but I just dumped and mixed and cooked.


No comments: