Monday, February 22, 2021

Kid Food: Corn Dog Muffins

Not everyone knows that my husband and I are in the process of adopting two boys, which means I am in the process of learning how to cook for kids, which I haven't ever done! I had bought hot dogs when they were first supposed to start visits, but covid got in the way for a few weeks. So then I had these hot dogs I either had to eat or throw away. Luckily I had seen a recipe for corn muffins with hot dog pieces in them, kind of like a quick corn doggish thing. I still don't know if kids like them, but it was a good idea! I'd give credit for this recipe but it's a combo of a few.

A corn dog muffin split open in front of a whole one. Doggo in background.

Corn Dog Muffins*

1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
6 tbsp sour cream
1 stick butter, melted
10ish hot dogs, uncooked, chopped into fourths or thirds.

  1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
  2. Stir dry ingredients together, mix in wet. 
  3. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray. 
  4. Add batter to cup until it just reaches the top.
  5. Poke hot dog pieces into muffins, evenly distributing.*
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is not wet.
  7. Serve with mustard, honey mustard, and/or ketchup, whatever you'd eat with corn dogs.

Makes 14-18

*I made half this much and it made 8-9 muffins. I had a few with just 1/4 hot dog and liked those I'd put 2-3 pieces in best. 

Caution: Some consider hot dogs choking hazards for smaller children, so please proceed accordingly.

 

No comments: