Monday, July 30, 2007

Baking Disaster - Strawberry Mirror Cake, Attempt 1

Part of being a Daring Baker is trying things that might not turn out. This night has turned into a comedy of errors and what I had hoped would be a post about a lovely strawberry mirror cake has ended (hopefully temporarily) with a picture of my extremely curdled bavarian cream.

I ran out of sugar and gelatin, but I'm hoping I can salvage my cake circles, strawberry puree, strawberry juice, and everything else I have already made and try finishing it tomorrow. Not quite on time, but I can't stop now, can I?

Mashed strawberries and strawberry juice

Otherwise, I might drink strawberry juice for breakfast and call it good.

Categories: Daring Bakers, Disaster

13 comments:

Helene said...

Hope you can salvage the cake and if not, it is ok. Being a DB is about successes and problems, can't be all rosy all the time! You are giving it your best shot and that's what counts.

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Take it from me the juice is the best part LOL! Hey we all learn and grow from such experiences. Keep it up!

Lis said...

You go girl!! hehe

And I couldn't agree more with what Helene said.. the disasters are also so very important - as much as the successes!

However it comes out, pat yourself on the back for a job well done!

xoxo

breadchick said...

I second Helen. Sometimes things work out and sometimes not and if you have to end up drinking the juice and eating the cake, oh well...both are quite tasty.

Andrea said...

I hope your cake turns out for you! BTW, my parents live in Columbia, SC. :-)

Anonymous said...

That's why we are called daring bakers because we dare to make recipes not knowing the outcome. You tried it, end of story.

Jenny said...

Good luck on the salvage operation! :-)

Deborah said...

I hope it all works out for you! This cake was quite the learning experience.

Chris said...

I am with Meeta - the juice was deelish! And, to piggy back off Helen and Lis - like I tell my teachers, (1) success is a journey, not a destination. (2) little messes can turn into big successes! :)

Peabody said...

Oh no worries...disasters are just learning opportunities.

Cheryl said...

Oh I forgot to write in my post how great that juice was. Mine made over 2 cups of juice, so I actually drank the extra (my dentist would kill me).

The greatest thing about this group is what you learn from each challenge.

Dolores said...

I'm also with Meeta... I had about a half cup of the strawberry juice left after my mirror was assembled, and it was delightful mixed with club soda (and a shot of vodka, according to one of my tasters).

Anonymous said...

Good try, Jenny!