- 1 cup hot coffee
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 3 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the cake:
For the milk mixture:
For the whipped cream topping:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease 9x13" baking pan with butter or cooking spray.
- Combine hot coffee and butter in medium bowl, stirring until butter is melted. If the butter doesn't melt all the way, microwave for 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla, and sugar, stirring until well combined.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, stirring until well combined.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until about halfway combined, then add coffee mixture, stirring until well combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into the pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out with some loose crumbs on it.
- Let the cake cool completely.
- Once cake is cooled, combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and chocolate milk and stir well to combine.
- Poke lots of holes in the cake with a toothpick or a fork - the more the better, so it soaks up all the milks!
- Pour the milk mixture over the cake.
- Refrigerate at least an hour.
- Make whipped topping by combining heavy cream, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and whipping until stiff peaks form. I use my electric mixer for this but if you want a good arm workout - use a whisk and your arm!
- Spread whipped topping over chilled cake.
- Dust with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and a sprinkle of more cayenne, if desired!
- Slice and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is