Tuesday, March 20, 2012

TWD Baking with Julia - Irish soda bread scones

Irish soda bread scones
This TWD Baking with Julia challenge featured the Irish soda bread recipe, which I made for St. Patrick's Day Eve.  I've made soda bread in the past, in fact ruining a pizza stone by throwing chocolate chips into one, haha.  Soda bread is a lot like biscuits but with much less fat, just the wee bit of fat in the buttermilk, so while they are pretty tasty while fresh out of the oven, they turn into rocks later on.

Apparently this also stops any extraneous flour from being absorbed into the surface as it is handled, as evidenced by my photo.  To make these easier to share, I whipped up a batch, added raisins, and made them into sconey sized portions.  I am still partial to cream scones, but it is nice to make a traditional recipe from the isles.  :)

Please do check out the hostess blogs for this recipe - Carla of Chocolate Moosey and Cathleen of My Culinary Mission

2 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those must be delicious! I bet they are addictive.

Cheers,

Rosa

Cathleen | My Culinary Mission said...

I love the small scone size portions!Wonderful idea. They look lovely.