Sunday, September 15, 2013

Peach Poppyseed Cake

Even after making mohnkuchen and space cookies, I still had poppyseeds to burn!  My new friend Angelika sent me a recipe for a poppyseed-nut-peach cake, and after finding local peaches at the farmers' market, I decided to give this one a go.

I'll include the recipe as converted to American measurements, although Angelika did the translating.  It should have nuts, but I was out.  It also should have a jam glaze but I didn't have any light in color, so I made a simple butter-powdered sugar-cream-rum glaze for the top.

Poppyseed-Nut-Peach Cake

Batter:
1 1/2 cups (minus 2 tbsp) flour
2/3 cup-3/4 cup poppy seeds (to taste)
2/3 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
12 tbsp soft butter
4 eggs
3 tablespoons rum
1/2 cup whipping cream
2 large peaches (3 small), peeled and sliced, with the pits removed

Glaze:
150 g Apricot jam
1 Tablespoon rum

Decoration:
Whipped cream and / or confectioners‘ sugar

  1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
  2. Cream soft butter with sugar until creamy. Add eggs one of the time, beating after each addition.
  3. Mix in the rest of the ingredients (alternating dry and wet is a good way to go.)
  4. Put batter in greased and floured Springform pan.
  5. Push peach slices down into batter, smooth backs showing, in whatever pattern you desire.
  6. Bake about 35 Minutes (check with wooden pick)
  7. Heat jam with rum and spread it out on cake. 
  8. Let it cool and decorate as desired.

My batter looked like this prior to baking

No comments: