Wednesday, September 25, 2013

"Primal" Banana Muffins (lower sugar, paleo)

Coconut flour and I aren't quite getting along yet.  When I first tried using it, I ended up with baked goods of amazing density.  As I got better at finding recipes with better ratios (coconut flour needs a LOT more liquid), I had such successes as Coconut Flour Pancakes and my own recipe for Crumble.

Then there are recipes like this one, where everything is just a little too moist, a little too soft, despite attempting to bake them longer.  I suspect one culprit may be that I adapted this paleo recipe by substituting Splenda for the honey, but I was so concerned I'd throw off that moisture balance that I added milk.  Completely unnecessary.

Not to mention that bananas are so high in carbs and sugar, it isn't like this recipe ends up being very low-carb the way that many coconut flour recipes do.  Ah well.  It wasn't awful, and I thought the coconut on top was tasty too. 

"Primal" Coconut Flour Banana Bread

(original recipe from SparkPeople, my notes in parentheses)

Ingredients

    2-3 ripe, mashed bananas (I used 3, should have gone with 2.5)
    1/3 c butter, melted
    6 eggs
    2 tbsp honey (I used brown sugar splenda and added a bit of milk)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 cup coconut flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tbsp cinnamon
    1/3 cup nuts (optional)

Directions

Combine bananas and melted butter. Mix well. Add eggs, [honey], and vanilla and whisk until eggs are combined.

In separate bowl stir together dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients. Add nuts if using and stir in.

Transfer batter to greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. (I made muffins and baked 23 minutes.)

Serving Size: makes 1 loaf (or 16 muffins)

Number of Servings: 8

2 comments:

Kathryn Rhyne said...

I'm going to try this recipe. Picked up my (very expensive) coconut flour, all ready.

Jenny Colvin said...

Kathryn I still owe you some experiments. It took so long to gather ingredients that I didn't get to it very quickly! But I will have leftover ingredients to donate to your GF baking cause, I'm sure. I'm making May 27 or whatever we decided my deadline!