Thursday, October 25, 2012

Lower Sugar Apple Crisp

Lower Carb Apple Crisp
This is another version of that original strawberry rhubarb crisp recipe I developed, using almond flour, spices and brown sugar splenda instead of the more traditional flour and sugar.  (I didn't add teh flax seed or chickpea flour this time, just used 3/4 cup of almond flour). These apples are Mutsu apples from Justus Orchards in Hendersonville, NC. 

This time around, I used walnuts and added extra spices to the apples.  If I made the apple version again, I would probably cook the apples a bit on the stove, because by the time the top had browned, the apples were still a bit too toothsome for my tastes.  I didn't want the topping to burn, so I took it out before the apples had fully cooked.  So if you were making it with apples, either pre-cook the apples or cover the entire thing with foil.

I topped this with the no sugar added butter pecan "frozen dessert" from So Delicious.  It is nicest once it starts to melt.  Autumn is the hardest season to go without traditional baked goods, and this was warm, spiced, and really hit the spot.

No comments: