Sunday, May 04, 2014

Crack Pie from Momofuku



This won't be the first time I've made something from Momofuku Milk Bar in this blog. Last June, I made their recipe for Cornflake-Chocolate Chip-Marshmallow Cookies.  Since then we have splurged and ordered their compost cookies from Goldbely.

I didn't set out to make another one of their recipes!  But I had been making a lot of recipes that called for egg whites and was determined to not just toss out my egg yolks after they were forgotten in the fridge.  I found an amazing list of what to do with egg yolks, sorted by the number of egg yolks you had.  I've always heard about Crack Pie, and I had the other ingredients on hand, so it was an easy solution. 

There are a handful of slightly varying recipes for the Momofuku Crack Pie around the internet.  I used the recipe as printed in the LA Times, which made two pies and used eight egg yolks.  I knew I could bring them to work and they would be eaten.

What exactly is crack pie, since that only describes how addictive it is?  If you imagine a pecan pie filling with no nuts, but then tempered with milk and a cookie crust, that is what a crack pie is.  It is one of their standard offerings.  It isn't pretty to look at but if you know what you are in store for, it doesn't matter.

Since the internet has everything, you can watch the pastry chef herself make this recipe.

No comments: