Saturday, May 03, 2014

How to Say Goodbye

We had a goodbye party for a co-worker, and I made cakes!

I didn't want to bring something I'd already made, so I scanned the cake recipes I'd pinned to my Recipes to Try - JennyBakes board and picked two.

One was this luscious and easy peanut butter cake from The Girl Who Ate Everything.  You can ignore the part about using it to get pregnant.  The sheet cake bakes in 15 minutes and the icing cooks quickly.  I'm not sure I've made anything easier and it was really delicious.  Filing this one away for the future!  If you make it, you might want to make sure people know it is peanut butter and not caramel cake - it sure looks like a caramel cake.  It messed with taste bud expectations a bit for my very southern co-workers!



The other cake took far more effort.  I based it on the Red Velvet & Raspberry Supreme Cake from Sweetapolita, but I used strawberries instead of raspberries, and didn't have enough to put on top.

From the outside, this cake looks like it might be simple.

Inside, the red velvet cake layers alternate with two different fillings - one is a pink whipped cream that has berries folded into it, and the other is a marshmallow cream cheese filling.  It was a lot of work and I think the two different fillings weren't different enough to have made the effort worth it; but both of them were good.  I think I'd prefer the marshmallow cream cheese with a peanut butter cake, or a rich chocolate cake. 



I was tempted to leave the chocolate frosting off and just let the layers speak for themselves, but I think that was one of the best parts of the cake.  I apologize for my messy decorating - I had spent four hours making the two cakes and was exhausted so I just called it good! 

No comments: