I got this idea from the guys over at The Bitten Word, and thought it was brilliant. I don't do well on resolutions in general, but I thought culinary ones would be some good goals to try to accomplish in 2010.
1. Make the third of the laminate doughs. I have made danish pastry (twice, actually) as well as puff pastry. 2010 will be the year I tackle croissants!
2. Bread baking - I was given The Bread Baker's Apprentice for Christmas and I am so excited to get started. Looking back on several Daring Bakers Challenges, I have made his lavash, pizza dough (I make this all the time now!), and sticky buns. I'm looking forward to spending more energy learning about savory, non-sweet, yeast breads.
3. Cake decorating - I need to buy my own decorating supplies, or get my Mom to send me my old stuff from back when I first took the Wilton classes. I made marshmallow fondant in 2009, but I want to tackle the more standard stuff. I also want to try modeling chocolate. I have no aspirations to become a cake decorator, since technically I used to work as one in a bakery without all the fancy stuff, but I definitely feel I have a lot to learn!
4. Trifle. I have a beautiful trifle dish that has never been used. Shameful!
5. To be intentional about seasonal ingredients. Horror of horrors - last year I skipped both the peach and apple seasons in my area, which are possibly the best fruits coming out of southern North Carolina and northern South Carolina. Really, no excuse. :)
Wow, I don't want to get too carried away. I think this is a good start.
I hope your 2010 gives you creative space!
Good luck on keeping your resolutions! :)
What a terrific idea - I should think about doing something like this too!
Happy New Year Jenny. Looking forward to another year of your great blog posts.
Sounds like an excellent start. Good luck!
Post a Comment