Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lemon Poppyseed Scones

Gluten-free, sugar-free lemon poppyseed scones
In a previous post, I explained how I teared up when I looked through The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking by Reinhart/Wallace, because I trusted Peter Reinhart as a baker and thought he would steer me the right way in trying to bake this new way we are eating.

I wasn't wrong!  This is my first attempt from that book - lemon poppyseed scones.  I made a half-batch because 2 cups of almond flour is spendy enough.  I feel like there was too much sweetener for my tastes (scones barely need to be sweet), and still can't get past the overly chemical flavor of using Splenda for baking.  Next time I'd use half as much of that particular ingredient. Still, the double lemon in the recipe actually masked that flavor quite a bit. 

These were more crumbly than tender normal scones, but still firm enough to hold up to toppings and to being sliced in half.  I'd say they were definitely the most successful baked good I've made with almond flour!  Next I need to hunt down some more nut flours, as there is an intentional variety throughout the book - hazelnut, pecan, etc. 

No comments: