Monday, June 19, 2017

Bakery Review: Back to Eden, Portland, OR


The Back to Eden Bakery is a 100% plant-based, vegan, gluten-free bakery on Alberta Street in Portland. My sister is gluten-free and her roommate is vegan, and after moving to Portland they discovered this one place where they could both eat pastries, ice-cream, and smoothies without concern for the contents.

Portland is the perfect place for a bakery like this, and they have really perfected the best ways to make tasty treats without eggs, dairy, or gluten. This is not an easy task, as evidenced by my years of experimenting with some of these recipes and ingredients. The clientele was very diverse, and I couldn't resist taking picture of this declamatory tattoo. She was in the right place.

The menu is extensive and includes lunch. The flavors are local but creative - I could have tried far more items than I purchased. The price is a bit more than you would find for regular bakery items but the ingredients cost more, so they weren't unreasonable considering. I had a cardamom coconut muffin that was light (not heavy!) and multi-textured. My sister got a carrot cupcake because it was her birthday and that's what she wanted! The two women in front of us bought these adorable lavender colored mini-cakes; I'm not sure what they were. I also had a hemp-coconut cardamom latte because I am nuts for cardamom.

One more thing to love about this bakery and many of the establishments I encountered in Oregon - posters and signs declaring that all are welcome, the importance of love, etc. What could be better?

Back to Eden Bakery
Alberta Hours: 8am-10pm Daily (storefront)
2217 NE Alberta St.
Division Hours: 10am-10pm Daily (food cart)
2880 SE Division St.
Phone (503) 477-5022
Website 

No comments: