Monday, August 06, 2018

Banana Chestnut Muffins

Although we are watching it behind the British (so no spoilers please), we are still devoted to reality baking shows, particularly The Great British Bake Off. Did you know that is called The Great British Baking Show in the USA? On Episode 4: Desserts from Series 3, the bakers are instructed to make a dessert without wheat flour. Brendan uses chestnut flour to make a Clementine and Chestnut Torte. My husband and I turned to each other and exclaimed, "Chestnut flour?" You see, my cupboards are full of gluten-free flour options. I've experimented with many alternative flours - tapioca, chickpea, rice, sorghum, coconut, and many nut flours including almond and peanut (hmm, actually, I have purchased the peanut flour; still need to use it!) But I had not heard of chestnut flour. He ordered me some and I've been looking for ways to use it.

Some recipes say some helpful things about chestnut flour - that it needs to be sifted, because it clumps easily. That it is best combined with other flours because it is strong in flavor. That it causes problems similar to coconut flour in the way it absorbed liquids (this was not my experience but I've only used it once so far.) That it evokes a feeling of sweetness, and you may be able to get away with less sugar. That it should be combined with other flours. The recipe I based these muffins on used a small amount of All-Purpose flour, and I used the same amount. I think especially in muffins, that amount could be replaced with tapioca flour or one of the nut flours. I used coconut sugar in place of the sugar mentioned, and only half what was called for. I added an egg based on some of the comments. I also combined the ingredients in a different way. So while I will credit and link you to the originating recipe (Banana Chestnut Cake from Always Order Dessert by Alejandra Ramos), mine is really something different from it!



Banana Chestnut Muffins

Makes 1 dozen muffins

1 cup chestnut flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (melted) or olive oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)*
2 over-ripe bananas, smashed and whisked until smooth and creamy
1/4 cup coconut milk or buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a muffin tin or silicone muffin tins.
2. Mash bananas. Stir in oil, eggs, milk, rum, vanilla extract, and coconut sugar.
3. Combine flours with spices and other dry ingredients. Mix into wet ingredients. Stir until no visible flour remains.
4. Fill muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes, until inside of muffins are not mushy.

*Like usual, I used banana liqueur in place of the vanilla and rum, because I have a giant bottle that would never go away.

No comments: