I needed a recipe to use up some chocolate chunks, and went searching for a good blondie recipe. The flavor of the brown butter elevates these cookies to possibly the best thing ever, ever, ever. Ahem. Make these. Add chocolate chips or chunks or don't but make them today.
Brown Butter Blondies
(recipe courtesy of Carrie Vasios Mullins on Serious Eats)
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease pan with butter.
- Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until melted. Continue to cook (the butter will foam) until it is fragrant and a nutty brown color. Take off the heat and pour through a sieve into a large bowl. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Add brown sugar to bowl with butter and whisk until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and whisk to combine. Stir in dry ingredients until just incorporated. Pour batter into pan and smooth top. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean, 20-30 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting.