I've had this recipe on my to-make list forever. Follow the original at the Hungry Hutch for more specifics on methods and chocolates used! I just used a combination of what I had on hand and called it good!
Double Chocolate Loaf Cake with Chocolate Glaze
Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces dark chocolate (semisweet, bittersweet, some combo)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons espresso instant coffee powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (semisweet, bittersweet, some combo)
- 2 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter
- Make the Chocolate Loaf Cake: Bring the milk to a boil in a sauce pot. Pour the milk over the butter and chocolate and stir until melted. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. (This would be a good time to measure out the remaining ingredients.)
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350˚F. Line a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt into the slightly cooled chocolate mixture. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, coffee powder, and baking soda; add to the chocolate mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. (It will be a fairly loose batter.) Transfer to the prepared pan and bake until a cake tester or wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool for a while in the pan, before taking out to cool completely.
- Make the Chocolate Glaze: Put all of the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at half power for 30 second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth, about 1 minute total. Spread the glaze on top of the cake and then serve.0