Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Spectacular


Pumpkin Pie Spectacular
Originally uploaded by watchjennybake.
Every year I try at least one new pumpkin pie recipe, hoping to stumble across the perfect one. The truth is, I'm not so sure I even like pumpkin pie all that much. I keep trying.

This recipe is from the November 2009 issue of Southern Living, so please follow the link to access the recipe.

I did make a few changes in the recipe - I made Julia Child's short crust instead of using a refrigerated piecrust (oh please!). I didn't put all of the gingersnap/pecan mixture inside the crust because I was worried about having enough room for the pumpkin pie part, and still ended up with enough to fill one ramekin.

I didn't make the streusel topping, mainly because of the cost of pecans - this could become a very expensive pie if you used all the nuts called for! I also only used 1/2 cup of pecans for the gingersnap layer rather than the full cup. They tell you to make a ginger-spice topping with whipped topping and spices, but I elected to whip up a little heavy cream and powdered sugar, and sprinkle it with cinnamon.

I think it looks pretty with that extra layer, but I wish the pumpkin layer was a little more heavily spiced. It was an interesting touch to use condensed milk instead of evaporated milk + sugar, and that probably helped make it the creamy texture that it was.

Categories: Ginger Snaps, Pastry, Pie, Pumpkin

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you on being underwhelmed by pumpkin pie. The closest I've gotten to finding something I like was actually a layered pie- bottom layer was cheesecake, then a thin layer of pumpkin pie. I'm sure that doesn't count.

It does look very pretty, though :).

Daydreams of Baking said...

What a pretty pie slice!

I like pumpkin pie well enough, but I'll agree that there are better pies out there.

Mel said...

This looks really good. I'm curious about what you did with the rammekin of pumpkin pie? Did you just cook it until it set? Did you put pie crust on the bottom? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Mel - I put some of the extra gingersnap/pecan mixture in the bottom, and just cooked the ramekin until it was set, probably 10-15 minutes before the pie was ready.

Mel said...

Jenny-- Thanks for the ramekin info! I know I will have leftover pumpkin pie mix when I make mine tonight. Glad I have something to do with it now!

Anonymous said...

I made the pie according to directions, and it was WONDERFUL! The ginger snap/pecan layer on top of the crust is actually enough to make 2 pies.

Unknown said...

Hey Anonymous - Did the recipe say that the gingersnap mixture was for 2 pies? It definitely seemed to be!

Mary said...

scrumptious!

Mel said...

Jenny thank you so much for the ramekin info! It worked perfectly- the ramekins actually tasted better than the pie! I owe you!