Friday, September 09, 2011

Grandma's Apple Cake

Frances's Apple Cake
I may have posted this before, but this is a recipe I've had in my life since I was born. My mother makes it, my grandmother, her mother, and her grandmother. I don't know where it comes from originally but at this point it is part of my own history, and I now share it with you.

Frances's Apple Cake
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
5 cups apples, diced (I used jonagold, some of the first apples of the year!)
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnuts

This recipe came to me with just ingredients, but in general I mix the diced apples with sugar, then the beaten eggs and vanilla, then mix in the dry ingredients, nuts last. I often leave out the nuts or use hazelnuts instead.

Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

Sometimes I also add a generous sprinkling of cinnamon to the mixture, but it doesn't really need it. This time I did!

9 comments:

KtLw35 said...

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe! I made it over the weekend with a mix of three apples and peacans and it was/still is wonderful! Everyone raved about how good it was. We have had apple out of our ears, so it was a good way to put a small dent in the stash.

KtLw35 said...

Thanks for sharing your grandmother's recipe! I made it over the weekend with a mix of three apples and peacans and it was/still is wonderful! Everyone raved about how good it was. We have had apple out of our ears, so it was a good way to put a small dent in the stash.

Anonymous said...

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

this look deliciousssssssssssssss and so easyyyyyyyy



thanks

greetings from méxico...

:)

Dee said...

Hi just wanted to say I tried your recipe this afternoon but I had to change it to make it sugar free. I used Spenda Granular in place of sugar, added 1/2 cup no sugar added applesauce and 1 cup toasted walnuts. I made frosting too; ½ container Pillsbury Sugar Free Vanilla Frosting
3 tablespoons of cream cheese
2 tbsp ½ & ½ or milk to thin frosting out
Sprinkle of nutmeg

My husband and I loved it! It was so moist and delicious, I used a mixture of York and Golden Delicious apples we got from a local orchard last weekend.

Unknown said...

Thanks Dee! It had so much sugar that I was nervous to try to adapt it.

Anonymous said...

This sounds yummy! What size pan should I use?

Unknown said...

I use a 9x13. You can do two 9" pans, bake bake for a shorter time.

Kaz said...

Hi, sounds lovely, but could you say somewhere which sort of cups you use. I'm in Sweden at the moment and our 'cups' are based on a decilitre. The internet is sort of international ;-) and these things don't often translate

Unknown said...

For granulated sugar, it is about 200g. Each ingredient would vary, so don't use 200g of everything for 1 cup! I usually just Google it, something like "1 cup sugar to grams" and find the answer that way.