Friday, April 27, 2012

Daring Bakers April 2012 - Armenian Nutmeg Cake

Armenian Nutmeg Cake

The Daring Bakers’ April 2012 challenge, hosted by Jason at Daily Candor, were two Armenian standards: nazook and nutmeg cake. Nazook is a layered yeasted dough pastry with a sweet filling, and nutmeg cake is a fragrant, nutty coffee-style cake.

This time around, I barely had time to make the nutmeg cake, but I'm bookmarking the nazook for when I finally get to my pick for Armenia in my Around the World reading challenge - Rise the Euphrates. But that is a post for another day. For this day, let me focus on my delicious disaster.

I learned something new in doing this challenge, actually. One can not simply replace a 9-inch cake pan when a 9-inch springform pan is called for. I imagine I actually know this. But I didn't have one of those other things (secret reference to So I Married an Axe Murderer), so I just tried sticking it into a regular one. So I had to bake it 20 extra minutes. And the crusty part didn't really set up. And I'm not really eating sugar anyway, so I was going to bring this in to my student workers. And now it is ugly and falling apart so I'm not sure I can. Ah well. The nibble I had was absolutely delicious, so I'm adding this to my recipe file of cakey breakfasty goodnesses, and a 9" springform pan to my shopping list.

1 comment:

The Betz Family said...

Who is going to eat it then? Somebody has to. :) Even though it overflowed I'm sure it still tastes great. Nice job on getting the challenge done!