Sunday, April 08, 2012

Sunday Waffles

Healthy Waffle
We haven't been having our typical scone Sundays, and I've been desperate for something tasty for a lazy weekend breakfast. In hunting around the internet for low-carb breakfasts, I came across the Diabetes Daily forums, and this low-carb, gluten-free waffle recipe. The most impressive part? They actually TASTE GOOD.

The ingredients are a little strange seeming at first - vanilla whey powder (like what you use for protein shakes), ground flaxseed, sugar free coffee syrup (I just used a lesser amount of maple flavoring), baking powder, eggs, and milk. The batter looks runny and disturbing with all the flaxseed, but it bakes up nicely.

I double the original recipe, so the version I'm presenting below makes about 3 Belgian waffles.

5 Tbsp of vanilla whey powder
5 Tbsp of ground flax seed ( I use the golden)
1.5 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
2 tsp oil or melted butter
1 Tbsp flavored extract OR 2 Tbsp sugarfree flavored coffee syrup
2 T of water or coconut, soy milk , etc to thin batter

Mix everything together and bake in a waffle maker.

No comments: