Monday, June 13, 2016

Grain-Free Blueberry Scones (gluten-free, paleo, naturally sweetened)

It is blueberry season and it is HOT outside. Hot and humid. That is when I start craving blueberry baked goods with iced coffee. I looked at a few lower carb, grain-free recipes, and ended up adapting one. I guess that makes this my recipe! We liked these. They aren't mushy like some grain-free recipes can be.



Blueberry Scones (grain-free, paleo, naturally sweetened)
(adapted from a recipe by Allison Nichols)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • ½ cup arrowroot flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar
  • ½ tsp sea salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
  • 2 eggs, whisked a little
  • 1 cup blueberries
Instructions
  1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the almond flour, ¼ cup arrowroot flour, coconut sugar, sea salt, and baking powder.
  2. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined.
  3. Add your blueberries along with the last ¼ cup of arrowroot flour.
  4. Form the batter into a ball and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
  5. Press into a circle and cut 8 wedges.
  6. Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
  7. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Notes from JennyBakes
  1. I replaced the maple syrup with coconut sugar since it is lower on the glycemic index. I knew that would leave me without some of hte moisture. As it was, the comments on the original recipe complained of dryness. My simple solution was to just use 2 eggs. I could have used 1/4 cup almond or almond-coconut milk in addition to the 1 egg. The batter was a bit sticky but after they baked it was a nice sconelike texture.
  2. I prefer coconut oil to butter when working with almond flour. I have seen it make a big difference in texture. I don't understand the science but have started making that replacement across the board. 
  3. Fresh blueberries got a bit demolished in the final mixing step; frozen berries might work better here.

No comments: