Monday, August 08, 2016

Lingonberry Snitter

I had my library order Scandinavian Baking and it is a beautiful cookbook! I wanted to make something from it before returning it, but a lot of the savory baked goods would have required me to purchase obscure ingredients (rye flakes? no idea.) The description of this recipe said it was super sweet so I bought lingonberry jam to put in the middle (which isn't very sweet.) In the end, it was really not that sweet at all, so I'm a bit puzzled. Plus the directions don't get the math right, they say to roll the dough into a 16x9 sheet and then cut it into two pieces that are each 8x4.5... but for that size you'd end up with four pieces. Very confusing. I just decided as long as the pieces were the same size, it was all good. It also turned out that the baking time was too long - I would try 12-15 minutes as 20 made mine overbaked.

From some of the reviews I've read, there are multiple errors in the cookbook. So do bake Scandinavian, but maybe from a different source. Dang! It's so gorgeous, you can understand how I got pulled in.



Lingonberry Snitter (adapted from cookbook mentioned above)

1 2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
7 tbsp butter, chilled
1 egg
Jam (I used about 2/3 of a jar of lingonberry)

7/8 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp water

Sift together flour and sugar. Rub in butter with fingertips until mixture is sandy. Gently barely mix in egg. Chill dough for 30 minutes. Roll out into rectangle, even sides, cut into two equal sections. Place on parchment paper lined sheet and prick all over with fork. Bake 12-15 minutes at 350 and let cool. Mix powdered sugar and water together and spread over one piece. Let sit 30 minutes after sprinkling with colored sugar or edible glitter. Spread jam on the other side and pile the frosting topped on on top. Cut into awkward cracked pieces.

No comments: