Monday, May 04, 2020

Fudgy Veggie Packed Brownies

I've discovered another great source for recipes that bakes similarly to how I bake for us at home - grain free, lower-sugar options, etc. It's Gather and Feast out of Melbourne, Australia. I came across one of their recipes from another blog and down the rabbit hole I went. I came out with these veggie-packed brownies, which they originally made with zucchini, sweet potato, and beet. Since quarantine baking is the name of the game these days, I didn't have a beet so I substituted a carrot. And I would do it again, these are super chocolatey and moist.

 

Fudgy Veggie Packed Brownies 

(recipe from Gather and Feast)
 
Brownie
  • 130g coconut oil, softened or melted & cooled
  • 2 cups coconut sugar -OR- 1½ cups if don’t mind it less sweet*
  • 1 tbs vanilla paste or extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 200g raw sweet potato, finely grated*
  • 150g raw zucchini, finely grated*
  • 100g raw beetroot, finely grated
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • ¼ cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp flaked sea salt
  • 1 cup raw cacao powder
  • ½ cup dark & rich dutch processed cocoa powder 
  • ¾ cup thick cultured coconut yogurt -OR- thick greek yogurt*
  • Extra cocoa powder for dusting

Chocolate Ganache (optional)*
  • 200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
  • ¾ cup coconut cream
  • 3 tbs coconut oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • Pinch sea salt
     
Toppings (optional)*
  • Veggie chips
  • Cacao nibs
  • Freeze dried strawberries

Method

Brownie
  1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F.
  2. Whisk the coconut oil and sugar until combined.
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk for 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add the grated veggies and fold through.
  5. Next, add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
  6. Fold through the yogurt.
  7. Line a 20cm brownie pan with baking paper.
  8. Pour the brownie mixture into the pan smoothing it out with a spatula or spoon.
  9. Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes.
  10. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
  11. Once cool, remove the brownie from the pan, cut into pieces, and dust with cocoa powder and top with desired toppings -OR- top with the ganache and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes to set - then cut into pieces.
  12. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy!

Chocolate Ganache (optional)
  1. Place all ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and melt over low heat.​
 Notes from JennyBakes:
  •  I used 1 1/2 cups and found it to be just fine
  • I didn't measure my veggies, just went with one of each... as such ended up with 4 cups shredded veggies which felt like too much. More than anything I wish I'd left out the zucchini seeds because they added so much moisture!
  • I had Icelandic style plain yogurt which is definitely thick, and worked well here.
  • I used a 9x13 pan because I don't have a "brownie pan"
  • I didn't make a ganache or put toppings. They didn't seem to need it. They look pretty that way.
  • I cut mine into rather large pieces and would have gone smaller if I was bringing them somewhere.
  • I neglected to store mine in the fridge and the last two molded. There is a lot of moistness in these brownies!

No comments: